Cooperation between Mexico and Europe has intensified during
the three years and
added-value mining products produced in Mexico have been
transferred to composites in Europe.
Functional properties are transferrable to industrial scale
production and they have potential for future commercial use
Main achievements for PP composites, years 2010 - 2013
- Reduced smoke production and heat release rate in PP-Mg(OH)2
composites when including nanosize Mg(OH)2 particles
- UV protection with 1.0% nano-ZnO in PP comparable with commercial reference with 0.3% organic UV-absorbant
- PP + Bacfungi 0.15% or 0.33% pellet: No growth of bacterial activity of Staphylococcus Aureus or Escherchia Coli were observed
Main achievements for PVC-wood composites, years 2010 -
- Improved moisture and UV protection when covering the
more effectively with PVC
- Improved flame retardancy with Mg(OH)2
- Better dimensional stability with thermally treated wood
- Further improvement of dimensional stability using a better
acetylated wood flour of Sovere S.p.A.
Main achievements for PS composites, years 2010 - 2013
- UV-protection with 0.5% nanofiller
Main achievements for sustainability and safety, years 2010 - 2013
- Life cycle data sets have been compiled for the developed
technologies, along with inventories of current practices.
- A detailed cradle-to-grave LCA was performed on the ENM (Ag, ZnO, Mg(OH)2) enhanced polymers (PP, PS, PVC-wood).
- Fatigue testing of the polymers containing ENMs, in order to
address the societal concern of ENM release.
- A comparative LCA evaluation between the developed
technology (ENM enhanced polymers) and current practice
(polymers with conventional additives), respectively.
Main achievements for mass production of nanoparticles, years 2010 - 2013
- Critical parameters such as concentration, agitation speed,
reaction time and temperature were defined for each nanoparticle
- Purification of mining raw materials was performed when
- Mg(OH)2 nanoparticles have been successfully
synthesized from Epsom salt with a minimum amount of calcium and
- ZnO nanoparticles have been successfully synthesized from
ZnCl2, since it has not been possible to obtain good purity ZnO
from a solution of ZnSO4.
- Ag nanoparticles have been successfully synthesized from
mining precursors, silver nitrate solution and metallic silver.
Peņoles’ silver nitrate solution from the refinery must be
purified in order to obtain the expected results.
- The stability of Mg(OH)2 particles was achieved
by adding surfactants. For silver nanoparticles, the reducer acts as a stabilizing agent.
ZnO synthesis does not require any stabilizing agents.